HOME > DEPARTMENTS > RECYCLING and SOLID WASTE
Lawrence/Mercer – Recycling and Solid Waste
The Lawrence-Mercer Counties Recycling/Solid Waste Department is a cooperative effort between the counties to deliver comprehensive waste management and recycling programming while saving money at the same time.
Counties are required by Pennsylvania to update and implement Municipal Solid Waste Management Plans every ten years. Plans must include an array of programs.
Since many of the program elements overlap counties, this partnership between Lawrence and Mercer counties enables our department to save taxpayers’ money by sharing the costs between the counties.
Programs and responsibilities of the department include:
- Develop and implement Municipal Solid Waste Management Plan,
- Assist municipalities in meeting Act 101 requirements concerning waste and recycling programs; education; collection; and grant writing,
- Produce educational programs, handouts, and activities about recycling, composting, illegal dumping, household hazardous wastes, buying recycled products and other environmental issues,
- Provide technical assistance to businesses, institutions, and organizations regarding their waste reduction, recycling, and energy conservation efforts,
- Manage the Big Blue Bin program,
- Develop collection opportunities for hard-to-dispose materials such as appliances, batteries, electronics, fluorescent lights, household hazardous waste, and tires,
- Work with nonprofit organizations and municipalities on anti-illegal dumping and littering programs,
- Help develop markets for recyclables.
The Lawrence-Mercer Counties Recycling/Solid Waste Department’s mission is to develop and implement both the Lawrence County and Mercer County Municipal Solid Waste Management Plans.
This Lawrence-Mercer Counties Recycling/Solid Waste Department will work towards its mission by:
- Providing convenient recycling opportunities,
- Providing recycling and collection opportunities for hard-to-dispose materials such as tires, electronics, and household hazardous waste,
- Providing technical assistance to businesses, institutions, organizations, and municipalities,
- Partnerships with like-minded organizations and agencies,
- Conducting public education programs to raise awareness about proper waste management and its benefits, and
- Assisting municipalities and businesses in meeting regulatory compliance with local, state, and federal recycling and waste management laws.
Meet Our Department
Jerry P. Zona, Director
(724) 658-6926, Ext. 2
Megan Gahring, Assistant Director
(724) 658-6925, Ext. 1
John Kulnis, Compliance Officer
(724) 856-7032, Ext. 3
Contact Information for Department:Lawrence-Mercer Recycling/Solid Waste Department
430 Court Street
New Castle, PA 16101
(724) 658-6925 (p)
(724) 656-2287 (f)
Local Landfills and Transfer Stations
Local Curbside Recycling Programs
- City of New Castle Curbside Recycling
- Neshannock Township Curbside Recycling
- Shenango Township Curbside Recycling
- Union Township Curbside Recycling
- Ellwood City Curbside Recycling
- New Wilmington Curbside Recycling
Local Drop-off Recycling Programs: